So you want to adopt a Staffy?
Updated: Jun 20, 2021
In recent years it has become the desired way to own a dog. We always hear people say “We would rather adopt then go to a breeder” We are so happy that this is the sentiment out in the community. However, there seems to be a growing trend that if they get their new dog home and it doesn’t work out within a few days, they simply give up.
Dogs in rescue are there because humans have let them down. So many reasons but a lot are because people have not bothered to train them. They come to us with no social skills, pull on leads, have separation anxiety, terrible skin conditions and the list goes on.
We are NOT behaviouralist or trainers. We are simply people with a bit of knowledge on the breed and want to help them. We assess them, and do some basic training, then we post them looking for the right connection. If you are putting in an application, you need to know that you will most likely be taking on a dog that needs continued training. The attitude should be that you will learn a lot to help this dog adjust and become a valued member of your family.
The question you need to ask is do you really want a dog? If you have been without one for a while adjusting to a small furry shadow that wants to be attached to you 24/7 can be more than some people want. Adopting a Staffy is like bringing home a 4 year old toddler. They need LOVE and BOUNDARIES. You also wouldn’t leave a toddler outside by themselves or let them run around by themselves without supervision with a bunch of other toddlers.
Some of the traits of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier that you must be aware of before you commit to this breed:
· They are a very strong unit – your handling skills need to be good.
· They are from the Terrier Group – they were bred to hunt vermin.. so in modern times, the Staffy is very likely to chase and could kill anything that is small. Cats and Fluffy white dogs included. That said – this instinct never translates to human children.
· If another dog comes up to them and has a go, they do not take a backwards step.
· They want to be where you are – that could be on the couch, in bed or on the loo! You need to be knowledgeable enough to deal with the times you need to leave the house.
· Staffies have the funniest personalities. They really are amazing little people. Their love is strong, their loyalty is incomparable. Once you have had a Staffy there is no going back.